ESL Inclusion Teacher
please scroll down to view...
Literature keeps you balanced...Because literature has the power...
- To make us more human, to help us see the world from inside the skin of persons very different from ourselves; to live more lives than the one we have; to try on various roles.
- To develop compassion and insight into the behavior of ourselves and others (through characters so real that the reader lives and suffers and rejoices with them).
- To show us the past in a way that helps us understand the present.
- To move us in ways that facts, statistics, and history texts can rarely do.
- To develop the imagination; to help us entertain ideas we never could have had; to interpret and translate our experiences, to shape our world, and to enlarge our imaginations.
- To take us out of ourselves and return us to ourselves as a changed self; to enlarge our thinking while educating our hearts.
- ~Charlotte S. Huck, The Best of the Bulletin, 1987 (1, CLA/NCTE. 69-71)