Welcome to Mrs. Ide's First Grade Class!Helping your child read...
Instead of saying “sound it out” each time your child stops or mispronounces a word as he or she reads, try this:
· Ask “Does that (or would that) make sense?” Remember that looking at the pictures helps them with meaning.
· Ask, “Does that sound right?”
· Ask “Does that look right?”
· Give your child a wait time of 5-10 seconds. See what he attempts to do to help himself.
· Say, “Try that again.”
· Say, “Let’s check the word. Look at the first letter.” As he becomes stronger, say, “Do you see a part you know?”
· Instead of isolating sounds in words, say the word very slowly and stretch the sounds.
· If they are REALLY struggling, tell them by asking, “Could it be…?”
· Remember to focus on 1 or 2 things to work on. Overloading your child with all the things they are doing wrong will discourage and frustrate them.
· Last but not least, always praise GOOD ATTEMPTS.Please feel free to contact me if you ever have any questions or concerns!Class #940-369-2903Main Office #940-369-2900E-mail- firstname.lastname@example.orgPlease ensure your child is reading each night and using their strategies:)Please practice the dot cards and subitizing with your child! That is where they find groups of dots and put them together to get the total!Class #940-369-2903Main Office #940-369-2900E-mail- email@example.com