2017-2018 School YearStudent Celebrations and AwardsOur McNair vision and values focus on student success. Therefore, we believe in celebrating successes throughout the year, both big and small. Here are some of our school-wide celebrations held throughout the year, as well as criteria for our end-of-year awards.6-Weeks Spirit Assemblies
These assemblies are held at the end of each six weeks grading periods, and recognize outstanding achievement in academics and citizenship. The dates and times will be posted on the website, and parents are welcome to attend. Teachers will notify parents if their child is receiving an award. We don't hold a sixth spirit assembly, since we do an end-of-year awards ceremony the last week of school. One ceremony is held for 3-5, the other for k-2.
- Academic & Citizenship winners: Each teacher chooses one student who has performed well (or shown much improvement) in an academic area, and one student who has shown exceptional citizenship skills. Those students eat on the stage with Mrs. Cano and Mrs. Poole, and receive a free ice cream. They are recognized with a certificate at the spirit assemblies.
- Golden Awards: Special Areas teachers recognize classes who have done the best job in Art, PE, Music, and Library.
- Golden Spatula: One class in each grade level who has shown the best behavior and table manners at lunch will receive the "Golden Spatula", and an extra 15 minute recess or another reward with Mrs. Poole or Mrs. Cano.
- "Above and Beyond": Our Guidance Counselor, Ms. Harrup, recognizes students who have been nominated by their teachers for going above and beyond in a particular character trait. They receive a pin and are recognized at the spirit assemblies, and also have lunch on stage with Mrs. Cano & Mrs. Poole, and receive a free ice cream.
- Perfect Attendance: The class in each group (3-5 and k-2) with the highest percentage of attendance for that six weeks receives an ice cream party at lunch.
- On-Time Award (fewest tardies): The class in each group (3-5 and k-2) with the lowest percentage of tardies for that six weeks receives an ice cream party at lunch.
- Box Tops Winner: The class who brings in the greatest amount of Box Tops is recognized with a trophy. The class with the highest overall amount at the end of the year gets a pizza party. Proceeds from the box tops helps purchase equipment for our PE program!
2015-2016 End-of-Year Awards Ceremonies:Each grade level has their own end-of-year awards ceremony in the cafeteria. Parents are welcome to attend, and teachers will inform parents if their child is receiving an award. Here are the awards given and the criteria:
- Perfect Attendance: Students will receive a certificate if they have been here every day and have no more than 3 tardies (includes entering the classroom after 7:50 a.m.) AND no more than 3 LOSIT's (loss of instruction time) from leaving school early. This is for all students.
- Citizenship: Students will receive a certificate if they do not have any X's in Social/Work Habits on the report cards for grades 2-5, and no more than one X in grades K-1.
- Book It: This is for first grade, based on the "book it" program they have used throughout the year.
- President's Achievement/Excellence: Students will receive a pin and a certificate. This is awarded to any student who has performed or achieved at an extraordinary level. This is for all grade levels.
- Special Areas Awards: PE, Music, and Art will give an award to one girl and boy from each grade level in each of these areas.