Target Word Practice
Do you need a new way to practice target words? Try one of these ideas:
1. Put the target words under your child's pillow. Have him/her say the cards when they go to bed and when they get up.
2. Roll a ball over the target words. Have your child name each one the ball rolls over.
3. While driving, tell your child "I'm thinking of..." and describe a target word until your child guesses it.
4. Tell your child to pretend they are a jack-in-the-box. Have them say the target word each time they pop up. This is great practice when your child is having trouble with one particular word.
5. Flash a flashlight beam on the target words. Have your child say the word.
6. Play a game of what's missing. Have your child close their eyes. The parent takes away one card and the child guesses which card is missing.
7. Have your child call their target words out to a pet or stuffed animal.
8. Hide the target words in a book or a magazine. Have you child name the cards as they find them.
9. When going on a car ride, have your child say the target words before you leave and after you arrive.
10. Have your child say the target words into a tape recorder and then play it back.
11. Let your child hang the target words on the refrigerator with magnets. Have them name them as they hang the words.
12. Place the cards on some steps, one card for each step. Have your child name the target words as he/she steps next to them.
13. Have your child name the target words into a toy telephone.
14. Bounce a ball on the target words and have your child name them.
15. Name the target words as your child takes them out of small bag.
16. Use a puppet to give the target words to your child and have him/her name them.
17. Lay the target words on the ground in a path. Have your child drive a toy car or truck over the cards while naming them.
18. Arrange the target words on the floor and have your child throw a bean bag on each word and say it.
19. Make a second copy of the target words and play a memory game. Lay all cards face down and take turns trying to find the cards that match.
20. Hide the cards around the house and have your child name the target words as they find the cards.