Speeding to Read Guidelines for the year 2017-2018
Turn 1: September 18-October 19
Turn 2: October 20-December 12
Turn 3: December 12-March 1
Turn 4: March 2-May 3
- 100% participation is expected
- The minimum goal for K-2 is 25 books (due to the shortened time-frame, 10 books is the goal for Turn 1)
- Picture books: maximum of 20 books per turn
- Guided reading books: Read by student only.
- Graphic novels: Each graphic novel counts as 4 guided reading books.
- Chapter books: Each chapter books counts as 4 guided reading books.
- Read Alouds: K-1 only; 2 per week by teacher only; read-alouds by parents do not count
All books that are read during the school day, at home or at after-school programs count in the competition, keeping the above guidelines in mind.