2014-15 Elementary Rezoning
The Denton ISD Board of Trustees has approved rezoning changes for its elementary schools to accommodate rapid student growth and provide a student population for Adkins Elementary, which will open in August.
The rezoning takes effect for the 2014-15 school year and impacts students attending schools in the southern section of the district, which includes E. P. Rayzor Elementary, Blanton Elementary, Pecan Creek Elementary, Hawk Elementary, Nelson Elementary and McNair Elementary.
Adkins Elementary is located north of F.M. 407 and west of Copper Canyon Road near the Fairlin neighborhood of Lantana.
The rezoning was outlined at the Board meeting on Jan. 21 and approved on Feb. 11. After receiving input from parents, the one change in rezoning that was made was taking students from the Teasley Harbor neighborhood, which is currently attending Blanton, and rezoning the group to Nelson Elementary. The original rezoning plan had these students attending McNair.
The areas approved for rezoning at the Feb. 11 Board meeting include:
For additional information, contact the district’s academic programs division at 940-369-0134.
- Adkins Elementary: The proposed areas include the Lantana neighborhoods of Sierra, Telea, Laviana, Gaillardia, Fairlin, Reata, Palmetto, Meridian, Crescent and Kendall. It will include Bartonville, Double Oak, Canyon Oaks, Copper Canyon and other areas south, west and north of F.M. 407 and east and west of Copper Canyon Road.
- E.P Rayzor Elementary: It will include mostly the Lantana neighborhoods of Carlisle, Wimberly, Camden, Brazos, Sonora, Wisteria, Navarro, Magnolia, Laurel, Dakota, Sandlin and Bel Air.
- Hawk Elementary: The Oakmont area west of I-35, which currently attends Pecan Creek, is proposed to attend Hawk.
- Nelson Elementary: The Teasley Harbor community that borders Teasley Lane and Lighthouse, who are now attending Blanton, will attend Nelson.
- McNair Elementary: The Hickory Creek community, who are now attending Blanton, will attend McNair.
- Blanton Elementary: The attendance zone will include the current neighborhoods except for those neighborhoods mentioned above, which will be attending the new elementary school, McNair, or E.P. Rayzor.