Bully Prevention at McNair
The Difference between Conflict and Bullying
Conflict occurs when there has been hurt feelings due to a miscommunication/misinterpretation (or no communication) in a friendship (very common).
Bullying occurs when a situation is one sided. It happens when someone keeps hurting, frightening, threatening or leaving someone out on purpose. There is also an imbalance of power.
· Mean because feelings are hurt
· Power and Control in a friendship
· May need help to work it out
· Positive result
· Use your "I" messages (4step plan)Bullying
· NOT friends
· Mean just because they are MEAN
· Power and Control
· Can’t work it out because of extreme fear of harm
· One sided
Both Bullying and Conflict involve anger, shock, fear, confusion and overall bad feelings. Therefore it can be difficult for students to determine what has happened and then fix it. They may need an adult’s help.