What is Academic Decathlon?
The Texas Academic Decathlon (AD) is an academic team-based competition in which students match wits and intellects with students from other schools. Each team is made up of a maximum of nine students. Each of the students competes in ten different categories. The ten categories are:
3. Social Sciences
6. Language & Literature, including the novel Bless Me, Ultima by Rudolfo Anaya
7. Super Quiz -- Darwin and Evolutionary Biology
8. Essay -- a choice from among three topics; to be written in 50 minutes
9. Speech -- prepared and impromptu
10. Interview -- seven minute one-on-one interview with a judge
What is the topic?
The focus for the 2009-2010 school year is the French Revolution.
What is expected of team members?
1. Regular attendance during the early class 7:50-8:40 Monday-Thursday (if you have not registered for this class please get in touch with me or your counselor as soon as possible. It should show up on your schedule as Literary Genres)
2. Mandatory attendance at Saturday meetings (TBA)
3. Attendance (when possible) at summer meetings
4. Coordinate with your subject's faculty consultant to arrange an information session
5. Develop an expert-level knowledge of the material in your assigned subject
6. Study and practice the other subjects throughout the summer and fall
7. Maintain a passing average in the class and all your classes
Where and when are the competitions?
Invitational and practice meets throughout the year
Regional competition (the real thing) in January
Who can participate?
AD is different from other competitions in that the team is limited to a certain number of students from each GPA bracket. We need students in the A, B, C grade ranges.
Who are the coaches?