ABOUT CHILD NUTRITION
Our mission is to provide healthy food choices before, during, and after school to support the nutrition needs of Denton ISD students. The information listed below is intended to help you become more familiar with our program and address some frequently asked questions. If, at any time, you have additional questions or concerns, please feel free to speak to your child's cafeteria manager or contact the Child Nutrition office at 369-0270.
- Menus - School menus are planned by a registered dietitian, and they are consistent with the Recommended Daily Allowances, age appropriate caloric goals, and the Dietary Guidelines for Americans. Moreover, we offer menu items that have a high degree of acceptance by students. Elementary menus are planned on a four-week rotating cycle. Each month, elementary students receive a printed menu to take home. Middle and High school menus are planned restaurant-style. Menus are posted in the menu section of the website. Water is available daily during lunch at no charge. Menus are subject to change without notice.
- Meal Service - We offer both breakfast and lunch to all students in the district. Some schools have after-school programs where snacks are provided as well. Serving times vary slightly from school to school.
- Pre-Payment of Meals - Parents are encouraged to place money in their child's account to reduce the need for carrying cash, which can be lost or stolen. You may send a check or cash with your child, or you may pay online at www.parentonline.net. Please note that our cashiers will not accept bills greater than $20.00 from students.
- A La Carte Items - Many schools offer items not planned on the menu such as crackers and yogurt. We refer to these as a la carte items since they are priced individually, not as a unit. If you do not want your child to use his/her money for these purchases, please make arrangements with your child's cafeteria manager to block their account.
- Charging Meals - When a paying student has charged the total value of a breakfast and lunch ($3.60 for Elementary and $4.10 for Secondary), the student will be offered a toasted cheese sandwich and carton of milk until the parent places money in the account. You may view your student's account balance by registering online at www.parentonline.net. During the month of May, we do not allow any charges.
On behalf of all Child Nutrition employees, thank you for the opportunity to serve your child.
Robin Wantland, MS, RD, RTSBA
Director of Child Nutrition Services
"In accordance with Federal Law and U.S. Department of Agriculture policy, this institution is prohibited from discriminating on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex, age or disability. To file a complaint of discrimination, write USDA, Director, Office of Adjudication, 1400 Independence Avenue, SW, Washington, D.C. 20250-9410 or call toll free (866) 632-9992 (Voice). Individuals who are hearing impaired or have speech disabilities may contact USDA through the Federal Relay Service at (800) 877-8339; or (800) 845-6136 (Spanish). USDA is an equal opportunity provider and employer."