Fifth grade Honor Choir performs Feb. 23
The Denton ISD Fifth-Grade Honor Choir will host its annual concert at 6:15 p.m. on Friday, February 23, at the Strickland Middle School Auditorium.
The guest conductor is Dr. Julie Scott, Professor of Practice and Co-Chair of Music Education at Southern Methodist University in Dallas, TX, where she teaches courses in elementary and choral music education. Prior to teaching at the college level, Dr. Scott taught elementary music and choir in Texas schools for over 20 years. During that time, five of her elementary groups—three Orff and ensembles and two choirs—were invited to perform for the Texas Music Educators Clinic/Convention.
Dr. Scott has taught summer Orff Schulwerk courses to adults at eight universities over the past 25 years and has presented over 200 conference sessions and workshops for AOSA, OAKE, state MEAs, Orff chapters, and school districts throughout the US. In addition, she has presented at international conferences in Scotland, Greece, Australia, China, Italy, and Thailand. Dr. Scott is a past president of the American Orff-Schulwerk Association and Founder/Director of SMU Music Educators Workshops.
The Fifth-Grade Honor Choir annually features some of the top performers from each elementary campus choir. The event also features special performances by instrumentalists from Guyer High School including Courtney DiMarco, flute; Adam Whoolery, xylophone; and Nathan Gates, cello.
Members of the 2018 Denton ISD Fifth Grade Honor Choir include:
- Adkins: Olivia Doud, Elee Etter, Claire Gscheidle
- Bell: Madilene Pelon, Mercedes Perez, Jenna Pierson
- Blanton: Makenzi Boccoler, Sarah DeAzevedo, Edie Knight, Amaya Langford, Marcella McCutcheon, Olivia McDonald, Tanner Rennels
- Borman: Julianna La Touche, Zuleyka Mondragon, Matalin Newkirk
- Cross Oaks: Nahara Aryee, Kadence Hardee, Kamylah Phillips
- Evers Park: Alanis Caraballo, Alexis De La Cruz, Nevaeh Dixson
- Ginnings: Sanders Cole, Seiler Julia, Francisco Leal, Byers Quan
- Hawk: Austin Bunch, Arianna Davies, Maddi Gallamore, Mikinley Jamison, Caitlin Johnson, Aidyn Love, Jorin Roberts, Hollye Verret
- Hodge: Chloe Blackwell, Azul Esparza, Jade Langford, Kaitlin Shands
- Houston: Donovan Bernal, Aiden Desjardins, Brady Fleitman, Julia Lee, Anna Redwine, Sydnei Spencer, Parker Weiss
- Lee: Kyla Killough, Ximena Rafael, Kyara Whitaker
- McNair: Tatum Bly, Jaxon Fritsch, Lucas Vandiver
- Nelson: Caitlin Bergman, Jayden Hollister, Willow Scott-Dallion
- Paloma Creek: Nicholete Burden, Maria Chiriac-Susu, Claire Griffiths, Spencer Lawson, Madelyn Moran, Rylee Scullawl, Regan Spurgin, Anaya Williams
- Pecan Creek: Lily Huber, Alexis Hunter, Briley Marion, Brandon Roberts, Izabella Szymanski
- Providence: Mari Dangerfield, Nevaeh Hughes-Coleman, Savannah Miller
- E.P. Rayzor: Josie Andreoli, Savannah Gross, Dylan Hamblin, Sophie LaFlamme, Shane McLaughlin
- Newton Rayzor: Isabel Banks, Anwyn Head, Catherine Panter, Pepper Rae Walker
- Rivera: Jordain Brimingham-Menne, Sydney Stello
- W.S. Ryan: Avery Dossey, Miranda Flores, Ramiro Gallegos, Sean Lim, Elizabeth Villarreal
- Savannah: Caleb Aponte, Sarah Batista, Ashlyn Evans, Sophie Rivera, Janna Smith, Moreblessing Sundire, Alana Vidal
- Stephens:Jamarian Briggs, Jack Bryant, Martin De La Rosa, Titianna Harris, Evan Kinnaird, Saul Maldonado, Norah Sandmann, Alexis Thomas
- Wilson: Keana Barton, Katelynn Davis, Presley Eubanks, Rosemary Lambert, Gannon McEvoy, Aydan Morrison, Lucy Taylor
The Honor Choir is selected by the music teachers at each district campus. The program is planned and organized by the Honor Choir Planning Committee, whose members include: Jackie deMontmollin, Director of Fine Arts; Eddy Russell, Assistant Director of Fine Arts; Cheree Barnette, Newton Rayzor Elementary; Kiaran Beck, Borman Elementary; Christine Beutner, Sam Houston Elementary; Megan Johnson, McNair Elementary; Laura Kinnaird, Stephens Elementary; Victor Lozada, Pecan Creek Elementary; Brandon Miller, Hodge Elementary; Nicolas Miranda, Blanton Elementary; Jamie Rives, Hawk Elementary; Angela Steward, Lee Elementary; Jennifer Young, Nelson Elementary.
For more information on the Fifth-Grade Honor Choir, please contact the district’s fine arts department at 940-369-0075.