Battle of the Books
What is Battle of the Books?
- Battle of the Books is a reading competition designed to improve reading and comprehension while also building enthusiasm for reading.
- Students will compete in teams to show their knowledge of these 21 pre-selected books.
- Each team will consist of three or four students.
- The team will decide which teammates will read which of the 21 books. (Each student is responsible for reading 5-7 books for their team.)
- The books are a mixture of Bluebonnet books and other award winners.
- This year's Battle will take place in January of 2020.
This year's list of books:
Out of My Mind (BB) by Sharon Draper
Wonder (BB) by RJ Palacio
A Week in the Woods* by Andrew Clements
Refugee* (BB) by Alan Gratz
Bicycle Spy* (BB) by Yona Zeldis McDonough
Eleven by Tom Rogers
Time for Andrew (BB) by Mary Downing Hahn
Saving Lucas Biggs (BB) by David Teague and Marisa de los Santos
City of Ember by Jeanne DuPrau
Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone* by JK Rowling
The Lightning Thief* (BB) by Rick Riordan
Land of Stories - The Wishing Spell* by Chris Colfer
Space Case (BB) by Stuart Gibbs
Me, Frida and the Secret of the Peacock Ring* (BB) by Angela Cervantes
The Magic Misfits* (BB) by Neil Patrick Harris
Wonderstruck* by Brian Selznick
The Boundless* by Kenneth Oppel
Swindle* by Gordon Korman
Last Kids on Earth* (BB) by Max Brallier
Strange Case of the Origami Yoda* (BB) by Tom Angleberger
Unlucky Lottery Winners of Classroom 13* (BB) by Honest Lee and Matthew J. Gilbert
* = new to this year's list
(BB) = Bluebonnet nominee or winner