Credit by Exam/Exam for Acceleration

Credit By Exam (CBE)

  • Utilized to earn credit for a course, when a student has had prior instruction, and under the following conditions:

    • The student is enrolling in Denton ISD from a nonaccredited school and needs to verify credit for courses taken;
    • The student has failed a subject or course and needs to retrieve credit; or
    • The student has earned a passing grade in a subject or course but has failed to earn credit because of excessive absences and needs to retrieve credit

    Students must demonstrate mastery of 70% or higher on a CBE to earn verification or retrieval credit. 



Exam for Acceleration (EA)

  • Exams for Acceleration (EA) provide students an opportunity to earn grade level subject area credit or to advance through a grade level without prior instruction.  

    • The only students that should take an Exam for Acceleration (EA) are those who display an extremely advanced level of understanding of the learning objectives assessed.
    • Students that take Exams for Acceleration (EA) have both an academic and emotional need to advance in a subject area or grade level. 
    • Exams for Acceleration (EA) are not designed for grade level recovery when a student is retained in a previous grade level.

    Students must demonstrate mastery of 80% or higher on all Exams for Acceleration (EA).



  • Preparing for the Exams:

    Examinations are criterion-referenced tests from Texas Tech University, University of Texas High School, or other testing instruments approved by the Superintendent or designee. Students are encouraged to review the course study guide on the university websites below. Denton ISD cannot provide additional reviews or study materials for Exams for Acceleration or Credit by Exams.

    For information about the tests and study guides, please visit:

    Texas Tech University

    University of Texas High School

Credit By Exam and Exam for Acceleration Testing Schedule 2020-2021

  • If you have questions or concerns regarding Credit By Exam or Exams for Acceleration please contact your students assigned Campus Professional School Counselor.