Empowering Lifelong Learners
Digital Signature in Adobe
Definition: Digital signatures are a type of e-signature that includes a digital certificate issued by a third party for independent identity validation.
- Choose Edit > Preferences > Signatures.
- Select Identities & Trusted Certificates and click More.
- Select Digital IDs on the left, and then click the Add ID button .
- Select the option A New Digital ID I Want To Create Now, and click Next.
Stores the digital ID information in a file, which has the extension .pfx in Windows.
Type a password for the digital ID file. For each keystroke, the password strength meter evaluates your password and indicates the password strength using color patterns. Reconfirm your password.
Stores the digital ID to a common location from where other Windows applications can also retrieve it.
- Type a name, email address, and other personal information for your digital ID. When you certify or sign a document, the name appears in the Signatures panel and in the Signature field.
- From the Use Digital ID for menu, choose whether you want to use the digital ID for signatures, data encryption, or both.
If you would like to know more about Adobe Signatures, please read this document provided by Adobe.
Make a backup copy of your digital ID file. If your digital ID file is lost or corrupted, or if you forget your password, you cannot use that profile to add signatures.
Creating A Digital Written Signature
- Using a Sharpie, write signature 3 times on white paper
- Scan signature page
- Once you have scanned the document, open it in Word and crop the best signature
- Once the signature is cropped, right-click on cropped signature and copy
- Open MS Paint and paste cropped signature in MS Paint
- At this time, you can crop signature more or enlarge to the size needed
- Save the file as a .png. File>Save As>File Name: Signature>Save as type: PNG (*.png). Click on Save (I save to my desktop or H drive)
- Open the PDF document in Adobe Reader. If Adobe Reader detects a signature field, it’ll prompt you to open the Sign pane. If not, just click the Sign button at the top-right corner.
Definition: An e-signature can be as basic as a typed name or a digitized image of a handwritten signature.
You can electronically sign documents using Adobe Acrobat DC. This is different from a digital signature. Digital signatures are for sensitive documents where the third party requests a special signature.
If you would like to find out more about Adobe Signatures, please read this document provided by Adobe.