Cheerleaders & Parents,
Here are some things you can do at home to improve your cheerleading skills.
1. Stretch: Take 10 minutes every morning and evening to stretch out your muscles.
2. Practice Motions: You can practice the cheers and chants as well as individual motions. Stand in front of the mirror and make sure your motions are sharp (look crisp and clean).
a. High V
b. Low V
d. Right punch
e. Left punch
g. Low touchdown
3. Kicks: You can do each kick multiple times to help with flexibility.
a. Right side kick
b. Left side kick
c. Right front kick
d. Left front kick
4. Jumps: Work on your approach and each of the jumps. If you can get in front of a mirror that would be great so that you can see what you need to correct.
a. Right herkie
b. Left herkie
c. Spread eagle
d. Tuck jump
e. Toe touch
5. Strength building: Try doing 5 of these initially and work up to 15 over time.
a. V- ups - lay flat on the floor and stretch out then try to get your hands and feet in a v position.
b. Pike-up: Lay flat on the floor stretched out and then try to get your hands and feet to touch in the air.
c. Leg lifts: Sit in a v on the floor and lift each leg up. Make sure to keep your toes pointed and your shoelaces faces back. Then try to lift both legs at the same time.
h. Dips: Sit on the edge of a chair and lift your body off the chair using your hands to hold your self up. Dip down until your arms are at a 90 degree angle and then come back up.Click on the link to view and practice cheers that we do as a squad. http://www.youtube.com/mcmathcheer