History of Denton
Denton was established in 1857 as a town. The city of Denton is the county seat for Denton County.Denton was named for John B. Denton. He was a lawyer, preacher, and a soldier who was killed in an Indian battle in 1841. His grave is on the courthouse lawn in Denton's downtown square.Also on Denton's downtown square is the old Denton County Courthouse which was built in 1896 and restored in 1987. The courthouse contains a museum with historic photographs and artifacts from the City's beginning to today.The government offices for the city of Denton and the county of Denton are in new buildings.