ESL fieldtrip to the Ft. Worth Zoo

    Denton High ESL Students on a field trip to the Fort Worth Zoo.

    Where can I find information about ESL/Bilingual/ Migrant services in Denton ISD?

    The DISD ESL/Bilingual Office is located at 1215 N. Elm in down town Denton.Their office phone number is (940)387-0150. Visit the DISD ESL/Bilingual Office Website.

    What is the difference between ESL and ESOL?

    ESL stands for English as a Second Language, and ESOL stands for English for Speakers of Other Languages. The state of Texas differentiates them in that ESOL 1 and ESOL 2 meet every day (once on A days and once on B days -- "double blocked"). These two classes provide a state required English 1 and English 2 credit, respectively. ESL 3 only provides a "Local Credit" and is taken concurrently with another English class.

    Who is elligible for ESL services?

    Students who speak another language at home other than English are eligible for ESL services if their scores on English Proficiency tests indicate that they would benifit from further English language course work. Some Foreign Exchange programs prohibit their participants from using ESL services.

    Do teachers speak Spanish in the classroom?


    In addition to foreign language teachers, multiple teachers at Denton High School know second languages. Mr. Slade and Mr. Rodriguez speak Spanish, and Ms. DeAngelo speaks some Spanish.

    There are differences of opinion concerning whether ESL teachers should stay continuously in the target language (English) or if some instruction should be in the home language of students. With a diverse population that does not only speak Spanish, little to no instruction will occur in Spanish. There is a Spanish for Spanish speakers class offered in the Foreign Languages Department, which affords Spanish-speaking students an opportunity to improve their academic Spanish. In that class, all instruction is in Spanish.

    What is the LPAC committee, and how can I help?

    LPAC stands for "Language Proficiency Assessment Committee." This is a committee that meets at least three times a year to check and record the progress of continuing and new LEP students and to place them based on the scores and skills that the students have demonstrated during that school year. The committee legally consists of an administrator, a teacher, and a parent. . The parent must have a student who is classified as LEP in the school district. We are endebted to these volunteers who invest their time in helping us ensure the success and accurate placement of LEP students! If you would like to volunteer to participate on the LPAC committee or to express interest, please e-mail Michelle DeAngelo.
    What is the difference between LEP and ESL?
    An ESL student is a LEP student who is recieving services from the ESL department (sheltered classes, use of the ELLC).  LEP students include ESL students and Exited students who are being monitored for two years after being exited.
    How are ESL students exited?
    In order for an ESL student to exite the program, a student must do the following:
    • 9th grade - score 4 on Woodcock-Munoz Oral Language Test (measures knowledge of certain picture vocabulary and analogies), pass the Reading TAKS test, be rated as Advanced-High in Writing by their English teacher, and pass all core classes (English, Math, Science, Social Studies).
    • 10-12th grade:score 4 on Woodcock-Munoz Oral Language Test (measures knowledge of certain picture vocabulary and analogies), pass the ELA TAKS test, and pass all core classes (English, Math, Science, Social Studies).

Last Modified on June 21, 2016