• 2nd Grade Projects
     
    Mrs. Rojas
    I read the "The Gingerbread Boy" to my class. They listened and we discussed it as a class. Then we sequenced the story as a class. When we sequenced the story, we wrote an outline together. This was going to help them summarize the story. They wrote their outline on a piece of notebook paper the size of a brown paper lunch bag. We made Gingerbread boy paper bag puppets:
     
    1. Cut out a brown circle that has a diameter slightly larger than the bag’s.
    2. Cut a half circle that has the same diameter.
    3. To trim the whole brown circle, cut 1” from each side of the bottom third of the circle. Then continue cutting around the bottom edge of the circle to make a semicircle. This is the upper part of the puppet’s mouth.
    4. Glue the trimmed circle to the flap of the bag. Overlap the edge.
    5. Glue the half circle slightly under the flap of the bag.
    6. Glue on button eyes, felt cheeks, and red yarn lips.(Can use construction paper)
    7. Cut out a body shape from brown construction paper and glue to the front of the bag.
    8. If desired, children can paint icing trim on the face and body with a fine brush and white paint or use construction paper.

    We glued the outline on the back of the brown paper bag puppet. The students, with their partner summarized the story to each other. This was a great way to practice their sequencing and summarizing. They enjoyed making the puppets and retelling the story in their own words.
     
     
    Mrs. Dennis
    For our author study we did a deep comprehensive retelling. The book was read once by our Rocking reader. On that day I had my students engage in an oral retelling with their learning pair. The following day I read the book again & we talked about one of the WOW words at the end of the book, "prospered," and what that word meant in the context of the story. My kids then engaged in illustrating the beginning, middle and end of the story based on my reading. Afterwards, they had to write about what happened in the beginning, middle and end of the story making sure that what they were writing matched what they had illustrated. Afterwards, they had to identify the characters, setting, and problem/solution of the story. I was very excited about how their projects turned out & we are looking forward to our next author study!
     
     

  • Our projects

    Posted by Hodge Virtual Book Club on 2/21/2014 7:00:00 AM
    Please leave comments about our projects and let us know what you think!
    Comments (2)

Recent

By Month