Use iTunes to restore your iOS device to factory settings
You can use iTunes to restore your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch to factory settings and the latest version of iOS. Restoring iOS software deletes all your data and content from your device, including songs, videos, contacts, photos, and calendar info.
Before you restore your device
- Make sure you’re using the latest version of iTunes.
- Use iTunes to back up your device and transfer and sync any additional content to your computer.
- Turn off Find My iPhone in Settings > iCloud on your device to disable Activation Lock.
Restore your iOS device
- Connect your iOS device to your computer using the cable that came with it.
- Select your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch when it appears in iTunes. In the Summary pane, click the Restore button for your device.
- Click Restore again to confirm that you want to restore your device to factory settings and delete all data and content. iTunes will download the iOS software file and restore your iOS device.
- After your iOS device is restored to factory settings, it will restart, and you’ll see the "Slide to set up” welcome screen. Follow the steps in the iOS Setup Assistant. You can set up your device as new or using a previous backup. If your iOS device has cellular service, it will activate after you restore.