September is Suicide Prevention Month
Suicidal thoughts and/or behaviors are both damaging and dangerous and are therefore considered a psychiatric emergency.
Someone experiencing these thoughts should seek immediate assistance from a health or mental health care provider.
If you or someone you know is in an emergency, please call:
- Denton County MHMR Crisis Line: 1-800-762-0157
- University Behavioral Health: 940-320-8100
- Millwood Hospital and Excel Center: 972-906-5522
- National Suicide Prevention Hotline: 1-800-273-8255 or www.suicidepreventionlifeline.org
- Local Crisis Line: 940-387-5555
- Texas Youth Hotline: 1-800-210-2278
DID YOU KNOW?
- Each year more than 47,000 individuals take their own life.
- Suicide is the 8th leading cause of death among adults in the U.S.
- Suicide is the 2nd leading cause of death among adolescents.
- More teenagers and young adults die from suicide than from cancer, heart disease, AIDS, birth defects, stroke, pneumonia, influenza, and chronic lung disease, COMBINED