Certificate renewal information is located on the Texas Education Agency's website.
All standard, probationary and one-year certificates have expiration dates.
- One-year certificates expire in one year and are not renewed.
- Probationary certificates may be renewed up to two times depending on the ACP program.
- Standard Certificates required 150 CPE hours to renew.
Provisional Certificates do not have an expiration date.
If the teacher obtains a standard certificate later on, then the 150 CPE hours are required to renew the standard certificate.
It is the teacher's responsibility to make sure that his or her certificate is renewed prior to the expiration date.
Requirements for Application as a Certified Teacher to Denton ISD
- An applicant must have at least a bachelor's degree from an accredited college or university. Exceptions to the degree may be made for teachers of vocational and trade classes who present trade and industrial training records in compliance with the Texas Education Agency.
- According to the laws of Texas, every person paid for instructional work in the public schools must have registered a valid Texas Teacher's Certificate with the superintendent of that school district. Graduates of a Texas college or university should contact the head of the education department of the college or university to secure a Texas Teacher's Certificate.
Alternative Certification Applicants
To learn more about how to become a teacher in the State of Texas, please go to the State Board for Educator Certification website, www.sbec.state.tx.us.
- An applicant must have at least a bachelor's degree from an accredited college or university.
- He / she may then apply to a college, university or private provider of instruction to become alternatively certified to teach in the State of Texas. It is the individual's personal responsibility to investigate all alternative certification sources to choose the provider which is the best source for his or her individual situation.
- Upon completion of registration in an alternative certification program, one may apply for consideration for employment within Denton ISD in a current vacant position.