Return to Headlines
Three Destination Imagination teams qualify for state meet
Three Destination Imagination teams composed of Denton ISD students recently qualified for the state meet, where they will compete in a variety of academic challenges.
Destination Imagination pits teams against one another in a battle to invent creative solutions for complex challenges in a variety of fields. This year, 19 teams featuring Denton ISD students participated in the regional tournament at Marcus High School in Flower Mound. Nine teams with Denton ISD students were recognized during the regional tournament’s awards ceremony, and three teams (from Ginnings Elementary, Crownover and McMath middle schools, and Ryan High School) qualified for the state meet in Anna.
Ginnings’ “Snazzy Cats” team will compete at the elementary level at the state meet after finishing second in the technical challenge at the regional meet and winning the prestigious Renaissance Award for outstanding design, engineering, execution and performance. At the middle school level, Crownover and McMath’s “Pink Fluffy Unicorns” team will compete in the improve challenge at the state meet after finishing first in their category at the regional meet. For the high school level, Ryan’s “Charged Up” team will compete at the state meet in the project outreach category after finishing second at the regional meet.
Additionally, two middle school teams with Denton ISD students received the DaVinci Award for outstanding creativity: Crownover’s “Giving Guys & Girls” team received the award for their project outreach work, and Calhoun’s “Musical Stilerd Nerds” earned the award for their structure challenge work. A second Ginnings team, “DI of the Hurricanes,” also received the Renaissance Award for their fine arts work.
The following teams composed of Denton ISD students were recognized at the regional awards ceremony:
- 2nd Place, Technical Challenge – Ginnings Elementary School’s Snazzy Cats: Cannon Delosantos, Sawyer Becker, Silas Becker, Joshua Rockson, Lilli Williams, Kyuss Pinkston (team managed by Amber Delasantos and Amanda Pinkston)
- 2nd Place, Fine Arts Challenge – Ginnings Elementary School’s DI of the Hurricanes: Ashryn Pinkston, Jonathan Strange, Corina Pavleck, Aiden Williams, Doretta Rockson, Saila Becker (team managed by Amanda Pinkston and Amber Delasantos)
- 4th Place, Improv Challenge – Ginnings Elementary DI of the Hurricanes: Ashryn Pinkston, Jonathan Strange, Corina Pavleck, Aiden Williams, Doretta Rockson, Saila Becker (team managed by Amanda Pinkston and Amber Delasantos)
- 5th Place, Technical Challenge – W.S. Ryan Elementary School’s DDD’s: Elliott Jones, Caleb Kaufman, Alex Evangelopoulos (team managed by Nick Evangelopous)
- 5th Place, Improv Challenge – Newton Rayzor Elementary School: Siena Dickey, Harper Mullet, Tesa Jones, Landon Nance, Abigail Coelho (team managed by Jennifer Dickey)
Middle School Level
- 1st Place, Improv Challenge – Crownover & McMath Middle Schools’ Pink Fluffy Unicorns: Ethan Jones, Sebastian Bourbon, Siddhartha Shah & Kason Chesky (team managed by Seema Gokharu)
- 2nd Place, Project Outreach – Crownover Middle School’s Giving Guys & Girls: Ramzi Aouadi, Christian Luevano, Joseph Hwang, Catherine Burke, Ah-Young Kim, Katie McCaskill (team managed by Dawn Taylor)
- 4th Place, Structure Challenge – Calhoun Middle School’s Musical Stilerd Nerds: Benjamin Coleman, Helena Coleman, Elizabeth Locke & Andrew Locke (team managed by Bernadette Coleman and Laura Valerius)
High School Level
- 2nd Place, Project Outreach – Ryan High School’s Charged Up: Colton Page, Brooke Finch, Keagen Gottlieb-Smith, Lydia Kasper (team managed by Trina Page)