Braswell High School
Communication, Collaboration, Creativity and Critical thinking
- Braswell High School
Students Earn 14 Awards at State PTA Reflections Contest
Students across the district received 14 awards for their art entries at the state PTA reflections meet, with one entry moving on to the national competition. This year’s theme was “Heroes Around Me.”
For more than 50 years, PTA Reflections competitions have been held annually held at the local, state and national level, giving students with special needs an avenue to display their artistic talent in one of six categories: dance choreography, film production, literature, musical composition, photography and visual arts.
The Denton Community Council of PTAs sent 26 district entries forward to the state level, 14 of which received honors.
McNair Elementary first-grader Skyler Sue Kelly’s photography entry “My Hero in Heaven” received Overall Award of Excellence.
“My daddy died a hero in the military,” said Skyler in her artist’s statement. “He loved being brave. I love my daddy and miss him. Many heroes are in heaven with my daddy.”
Skyler’s work will advance to the national level where it will be judged by the National PTA for a potential U.S. award.
The following Denton ISD students received awards at the PTA Reflections state meet in March:
- Nadia Ahmed (Pecan Creek Elementary), Honorable Mention Primary Visual Arts “Happy World”
- Lorenzo Canizares (Ryan High School), Honorable Mention High School Film Production “Goodperson”
- Lydia Carr (Guyer High School), Honorable Mention High School Literature “A Missing Hero”
- Ashton Cartwright (Guyer High School), Award of Merit High School Music Composition “Cecidit Heroes”
- Taylor Dickerson, (Crownover Middle School) Award of Excellence Middle Music Composition “Heroic”
- Joshua Ferguson (Harpool Middle School), Honorable Mention Special Artist Visual Art “Joshua’s Heroes”
- Noah Hogan (Houston Elementary), Award of Merit Intermediate Film Production “The Lost Apache”
- Maddie Jackson (Crownover Middle School), Award of Excellence Middle Photography “Not All Heroes Wear Capes”
- Aiden Johnston (EP Rayzor Elementary), Award of Excellence Intermediate Music Composition “War”
- Skyler Sue Kelly (McNair Elementary), Overall Award of Excellence Primary Photography “My Hero in Heaven”
- Abigail Kim (McMath Middle School), Award of Merit Middle Visual Art “Heroes”
- Allison Lander (Guyer High School), Award of Merit High School Dance Choreography “Waves”
- Ethan Ottinger (Braswell High School), Honorable Mention High School Visual Arts “Heroes Battle Blaze”
- Lorenzo Rodriguez-Aguilar (Pecan Creek Elementary), Award of Excellence Primary Music Composition “Welcome Everyone”