Visual Arts Mission Statement
. . . in pursuit of excellence . . .
The mission of the Denton Independent School District visual arts program is to foster an understanding of the evolving practices in the visual arts. Students become visually literate through art production and immersion in visual culture.
- provides the opportunity for development of creative self-expression, higher-order thinking skills, cognitive reasoning, technological advances, collaboration and problem solving
- offers experience in vocations contributing to the global economy
- teaches lifelong skills that connect individuals to the cultural heritage of both local and international communities
THROUGH VISUAL ARTS EXPERIENCES, STUDENTS:
- attain an understanding of the interdisciplinary relationships across the curriculum
- develop work habits of creativity, construction, productivity, and adaptability
- use critical thinking to communicate creatively and effectively with others
- learn about identity and self-awareness by building confidence
Texas Essential Knowledge and Skills
Visual Arts (TEKS)
The fine arts incorporate the study of dance, music, theatre, and the visual arts to offer unique experiences and empower students to explore realities, relationships, and ideas. These disciplines engage and motivate all students through active learning, critical thinking, and innovative problem solving. The fine arts develop cognitive functioning and increase student academic achievement, high-order thinking, communication, and collaboration skills. This makes the fine arts applicable to college readiness, career opportunities, workplace environments, social skills, and everyday life. Students develop aesthetic and cultural awareness through exploration leading to creative expression. Creativity is essential and the study of the arts nurtures and develops the whole child.
Aligned with the National Standards for Arts Education and the Texas Essential Knowledge and Skills for Fine Arts (TEKS), the Denton Independent School District Visual Arts Curriculum provides each student a variety of opportunities to demonstrate an understanding of each of
the following content standards:
- Foundations: Observation and Perception. The student develops and expands visual literacy skills, utilizing critical thought, imagination, and the senses to observe and explore the world by learning about, understanding, and applying the Elements of Art and Principles of Design, and expressive qualities.
- Creative Expression. The student communicates ideas through original artworks, using a variety of media with appropriate skill.
- Historical and Cultural Relevance. The student demonstrates an understanding of art history and culture by analyzing artistic styles, historical periods, and a variety of cultures.
- Critical Evaluation and Response. By responding to and analyzing personal artworks and the works of others, students make informed judgments and reasoned evaluations.