Submit Artwork for 2019-20 National PTA Reflections Contest
The 2019 - 2020 PTA Reflections theme, "Look Within" has been announced. Summer time is the perfect time for the students to begin reflecting on the theme and start creating original works of art that bring the them to life!
Reflections encourages students of all ages to:
- Unleash creative talents and be inspired
- Express themselves imaginatively in their artwork
- Experience the fun and joy of making art
- Tap into critical-thinking skills to create art inspired by the annual theme
- Receive positive recognition for their original works of art.
All students attending PTA schools sponsoring the program are invited to participate and submit original artwork in one of six areas:
- Dance Choreography
- Film Production
- Music Composition
- Visual Arts
Artworks are submitted to school-level PTAs, where they are recognized, celebrated and judged within grade-level divisions and the Special Artists division, which celebrates student artists with special needs. During the evaluation process, judges will consider the following criteria:
- Interpretation: How closely the piece relates to the theme, based on the work itself and the artist statement.
- Creativity: How creative and original the piece is in its conception of the theme and its presentation.
- Technique: The level of skill demonstrated in the basic principles/techniques of the arts area.
Judges strongly consider the interpretation of the Reflections theme during the evaluation process. It is suggested that students give their submissions a title that stands out and describes how the piece relates to the student’s personal interpretation of the theme. he following guiding questions can be useful when developing a title and artist statement:
- How does your work relate to the theme?
- What is your personal connection to the theme?
- What did you use to create your work (e.g., supplies, technology, instrumentation, props, etc.)
- What/who was your inspiration?
Top awarded entries advance from local school level to District and then to State level. The final artworks submitted to Texas State PTA by districts are then considered for Outstanding Interpretation, Awards of Excellence or Awards of Merit. Outstanding Interpretation and Award of Excellence entries then go on to represent Texas in the final National PTA judging round.
National-level Outstanding Interpretation honorees are recognized and awarded at the National PTA Convention, plus their artwork, along with any National Award of Excellence and Merit winners, are featured in Reflections’ popular traveling national exhibit. See the 2018 -2019 winners.
Local entry submission due dates vary at each school and are finalized at the beginning of the school year. Generally, entries will be due towards the end of October 2020. Please reach out to your PTA unit to inquire about your local due dates.
Texas PTA is working on finalizing the 2019 - 2020 Student Entry Forms and typically make them available in August each year. Below are links to early versions of the entry forms and rules which can be shared with the students if they would like to get a head start on their artwork this summer.