About Our School
About Shultz Elementary
Ms. Nette Shultz was a county agriculture extension agent working in Cooke County. In 1935, she purchased 191 acres located 2.5 miles northeast of the heart of Denton. The property she donated to the school was in the middle of that large farm on the then edge of town. In addition to the school site, the City of Denton received the donation of a piece of property and subsequently named the neighborhood’s park after Ms. Shultz in appreciation.
Later Ms. Schultz, an educator, taught at Texas State College for Women (presently Texas Woman's University) from 1944 to 1952. Mrs. Shultz had a reputation for being “a very humble person who did not want a big ‘hoopla’ over the donation but was committed to providing an exceptional public education for the children in Denton.”
On June 8, 1956, Mrs. Nette Shultz donated land to the district and designated it to be used for an elementary campus. Her life was dedicated to teaching and the service of others. The campus opened in 1960 and was originally named for Woodrow Wilson, the 28th President of the United States.
On May 5, 2018, voters in Denton ISD approved the school district’s bond proposal with 74.4 percent of voters in favor of the $750.5 million capital improvement plan, the largest in the district’s history, and a record 10,615 votes were cast. More than $483.4 million of the bond proposal was earmarked for renovation and replacement projects across the district for some of the district's older facilities. One of the campuses proposed to have a replacement campus built was Wilson Elementary. The plan was for the new elementary school to be constructed on the same property, and construction on the replacement campus began in 2019.
On December 15, 2020, the Denton Independent School District Board of Trustees voted to re-name Wilson Elementary for Nette Shultz, the original donor of the property on which the campus currently resides.
Students and staff moved to the new facility at the opening of the 2021-2022 school year, and a rededication ceremony was hosted in May of 2022. At that time, a display was unveiled that honored the history of the school and the importance the campus has played in the lives of the multiple generations of families who have been served by the school's educators.
Colors: Green and White