About Alexander Elementary
Mrs. Alice Alexander taught kindergarten and first grade for 45 years in the Denton community, spending much of her career at Fred Moore School, a school named for her father in 1949. She began her teaching career in 1928, after attending Texas College in Tyler, Texas Southern University and the University of Chicago for her formal education.
Mrs. Alexander’s life and that of her family members is intertwined in the history of Denton and the integration of the school system. Upon her passing in 2007 at 100 years of age, she was remembered for “furthering the cause of ethnic harmony” and “being a vivacious leader with an influence on her students.”
Alexander Elementary, formerly Lee Elementary, originally opened in 1884 on the site of the first free public school in Denton, between Hickory and Sycamore Streets. The school hired Clara Skiles, the area’s first female principal in 1925, considered a very progressive idea for the time.
The school was moved throughout the city over a course of more than a century and was re-constructed at its current location near Mack Park in 1988 as an open-concept school. In 2005, the 84,000 square-foot campus was completely renovated, and science classrooms were added in 2012.
Known for being the “heart” of a diverse community, students and staff reflect a synchronicity that happens when people from different background work together for the same common goal. Community partners often help with events and programs at the school, while students and staff return the favor with service projects that better the neighborhood and its families.
Strong academics are a constant at the school, with students taking part in math contests, reading programs and science nights to enhance classroom instruction. Participation in student council, student announcements and special physical fitness programs also helps students develop leadership and organizational skills. Students have numerous opportunities to showcase their talents in and out of the classroom. We offer a variety of opportunities for students to connect with others through our robotics club, track team, choir and orchestra along with our "Ballet Folklórico" dance team. Students are recognized by administration and community leaders for their good citizenship, showing that the school takes its motto “Learners Today, Leaders Tomorrow” to heart.
Established: 1988 (original campus opened in 1912)
Colors: Maroon and Gray