August 12, 2019
We take the safety and security of your children very seriously. Should an emergency or disaster situation ever arise in our area while school is in session, we want you to be aware that Denton ISD and W.S. Ryan Elementary have made preparations through a detailed building emergency operations plan, formulated to respond effectively to any emergency situation. All public schools in Texas are required to meet stringent disaster response standards. Your child(ren) will be cared for at W.S. Ryan, should we have a major incident during school hours.
Every campus in Denton ISD:
· Has an identified Building Emergency Response Team and maintains a current Building Emergency Operations Plan. Every staff member is trained in the appropriate responses and their responsibilities.
· Regularly conducts fire, severe weather, and lockdown drills to ensure that our staff and students are prepared in case of an emergency. We work closely with city emergency responders to guarantee quick response times in case of an emergency.
· Posts maps illustrating evacuation routes in every classroom.
· Has several labeled weather-safe areas. In the event of severe weather, staff and students will move to their designated spot until it subsides.
To help ensure the safety of your children during emergencies, your cooperation is vital. In case of such an emergency, please help us by doing the following:
· Do not telephone the school, as phone lines are needed for emergency communication. Any large overload of calls may result in the entire phone system shutting down, disabling phone contact with emergency personnel.
· In the event of a serious incident, students will be kept safe until they are picked up by an identified, responsible adult, who was designated as an emergency contact by parents through the online registration. A reunification plan will be implemented by campus administration, in coordination with law enforcement/first responders.
· Please do not rush to the school during a tornado warning/severe weather to pick up your child. We will follow safety procedures, which includes having all students AND staff taking shelter in a weather-safe location on campus. We will not dismiss students during severe weather if students’ and staff members’ safety is at risk.
- Be sure to contact the WS Ryan office at 940-369-4600 anytime your phone number(s) and/or email(s) change, so we have updated contact information to reach you in case of an emergency.
In addition, our Elementary Schools are being equipped with a secure entry system, requiring parents to be visible on camera before entering the building. If you have any questions or concerns regarding these procedures, please contact us at 940-369-4600.
Nicole Poole, Principal Yesi McCleskey, Assistant Principal