Regarding Healthy Snack and Party Foods:
Schools have a responsibility to help students establish lifelong habits of healthy eating patterns and regular physical activity. By establishing healthy habits early in life, children can dramatically reduce their health risks and increase their chances for longer, more productive lives. You love your children and you want the best for them. You can show this by creating opportunities for them to make healthy food choices. FOR ALL SCHOOL CELEBRATIONS (INCLUDING CLASS PARTIES, BIRTHDAY AND HOLIDAY CELEBRATIONS, FUND RAISERS, ETC.) FOOD WILL BE LIMITED TO THE LIST BELOW. These food guidelines DO NOT apply to daily lunches sent to school by parents.
Foods such as pizza, candy, cake, cupcakes, and ice cream do not meet dietary guidelines and will not be served to our children in the classroom. The list of food and beverages below are consistent with the Dietary Guidelines for Americans and Texas Public School Nutrition Policy.
HEALTHY SNACK LIST/SPECIAL OCCASIONS
• Raw vegetable sticks* or slices with low fat dressing or yogurt dip
• Fresh fruit wedges*: watermelon, cantaloupe, honeydew, pineapple, oranges, etc.
• Sliced fruit*: apples, pears, peaches, plums, nectarines, etc.
• Dried fruits*: raisins, cranberries, apples, apricots
• Single serving apple sauce
• Trail mix*†
• Pretzels or reduced fat crackers
• Goldfish or Wheat Thins
• Granola bars*, graham crackers, fig bars
• Fat free or low fat pudding cups
• Water or skim milk
All of the items listed above are believed to be consistent with the intent of our school wellness policy to promote student health and reduce childhood obesity. We encourage all parents to use the above list as a guide in providing healthy snacks for our children. Snacks that do not meet nutritional standards will NOT be served to students. Such items include, but are not limited to, cake, cupcakes, cookies, and candy.
* Choking hazard for children under age 4 unless properly prepared.
† Known food allergen. Do not serve to child who is allergic to this food.