Programs offered by Communities In Schools of North Texas
at Denton High School
- Mentoring: Site Coordinator matches a member of the community to meet with a student one day each week for 45 minutes to one hour on campus during the school day to help with class work, set goals, offer support, and encourage them to succeed. Mentors are asked to commit to meeting for the duration of the entire school year.
- Homework Center/Tutoring: Tutors are provided when available to assist students with homework during lunch or scheduled on certain days. CISNT has partnered with the University of North Texas Math Department to provide tutors that are studying to become teachers. These University students dedicate their time as a service learning project.
- Social Services and Referrals: CIS can provide School Supplies, Clothing, Basic Needs, Vouchers for Eye Exams and Glasses, Medical and Dental Referrals, Counseling, other Community Agency Referrals, and Holiday Assistance for qualifying families when resources are available.
- College/Financial Aid: CIS works alongside Talent Search, the DHS Counseling Office, and other staff to ensure that special events and informational meetings are available to parents of students who are interested in attending College after High School. CIS also sponsors field trips to colleges throughout the school year and during summer program. CIS provides one-on-one assistance to case-managed students in applying for Scholarships and help with understanding and applying for the FAFSA (Free Application for Federal Student Aid), and college applications.
- Field Trips: University of North Texas, North Central Texas College, AT&T Corporate Offices, Best Self Women's Conference, etc.
- Parent Education: In partnership with the District, CIS helps to provide classes for parents on many things, including helping students go to College, talking to students about important life issues, and referrals for immigration services.
- Bridges College Group: We run lunch groups centered around college and career readiness to enhance student's knowledge of educational opportunities. The group focuses on researching and applying to colleges, completing and understanding the FAFSA, career exploration, and much more.
... And many other programs and services!
Contact: Breanna Slaughter-Simpson, LBSW
Traditional Site Coordinator
firstname.lastname@example.org or 940-369-2029 for more information.