Steps for Requesting a Mentor in Denton ISD
Congratulations on making the decision to work on a Master of Library Science degree. It is one of the most rewarding positions around. Not only do you have an opportunity to engage with students is a variety of ways, but with the inclusion of both technology and Makerspaces (STEM - Science, Technology, Engineering, and Math) into libraries, every day is a new adventure.
Some things to consider:
- Denton ISD employees will be placed first. Once those placements are made, if there are slots left, we will place practicum students who are not employees of Denton ISD.
- We do not place employees on their home campus. We want you to have mulitple points of view and a variety of experiences.
- Texas Administrative Code requires you to spend 120-160 hours in your practicum. We expect you spend half of it in an elementary and the other half in a secondary school.
Submit all paperwork to the Library Coordinator - firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Step 1: The university student must initiate the request for a practicum by completing the Single Student Observation Form. This form must be signed by the student, a digital signature will not be acceptable.
2. Step 2: The student must request a letter from the university or ACP with letterhead with the following requirements:
- Student Name
- Description of the assignment
- Certification grade Level
- Certification Subject/Area
- Total of Hours Required
* UNT Students please contact Tony Faber at email@example.com
* TWU Students please contact Kelly Meyer at firstname.lastname@example.org
3. Step 3: Students must submit an Electronic Background Check form through AppliTrack and choose Single Observations posting under Vacancy Desired.
The student will immediately receive an email confirmation from AppliTrack after successfully completing their application under Single Observation Posting.
* Note that the email confirmation will need to be forwarded to the Library Coordinator, please ensure the Job ID number reflects on the email forwarded.
4. Step 4: The following documentation will need to be forwarded to the Library Coordinator at email@example.com
- Single Student Observation Form – completed and signed
- Letter from University/ACP
- AppliTrack email confirmation reflecting completion of application and Job ID number
5. Once all your paperwork has been submitted to the Library Coordinator, it will be sent to the Human Resources department for further processing. You will be notified by the Library Coordinator once all your documentation and background screening has been cleared.
7. The Library Coordinator will email you and your mentors, stating you have been cleared to be on their campuses.
8. You may contact your mentor to schedule your first visit.
9. The Library Coordinator will request to observe you three times during your practicum. Once visit will be scheduled at in the first six weeks of your practicum, one during the second six weeks, and one during the final 6 weeks.
If you have any questions, please contact the Library Coordinator.