Meet Our Trustees: Charles Stafford
Trustee since 2004 (also served 1988-94)
Charles Stafford is a veteran and senior member of the Denton ISD Board of School Trustees. He served on the board from 1988 to 1994 and returned in May 2004, serving consecutive terms since then. During those terms, his fellow trustees selected him as board president four times.
Born in Lubbock, Mr. Stafford entered the Plan II honors program at the University of Texas in Austin in 1970. Mr. Stafford has lived within Denton ISD boundaries for more than 35 years, where he is serves professionally as a Realtor and a real estate developer.
Mr. Stafford’s professional experience also includes 10 years in the Texas House of Representatives, where he worked for three speakers of the House and directed a committee staff. He has since used that experience in Denton ISD’s attempts to deal with school finance issues and governance issues.
When not directly working on board activities, Mr. Stafford spends a great deal of time interacting with the Denton ISD community. He supports the district’s Adopt-A-School program, Guys/Girls Operating As Leaders (GOAL) and Children’s Advocacy Center for Denton County.
Mr. Stafford is actively involved in numerous business and professional organizations and related activities. He is active in developing the Board’s Legislative Agenda and perpetually organizes groups from Denton to visit with legislators and address concerns. He strongly supports the North Texas Area Association of School Boards.
Through his service on the board of the Texas Association of School Boards, Mr. Stafford is vice-chair of the Planning and Development Committee. He is part of the TASB team that helped plan the first TASB Business Forum that featured the important role of school-business partnerships.
Mr. Stafford is a father of seven children, including four adopted children, and grandfather to seven grandchildren. He has a reputation for being an extremely strong child advocate and is known for bringing business saavy to the board. His passion for young people, along with an in-depth knowledge of the North Texas real estate market, makes him a valuable asset to the district.
Insights and Contributions
Mr. Stafford spends a great deal of time interacting with the DISD community. For example, he participates in fund-raising activities for the Boy Scouts of America and Children’s Advocacy Center for Denton County.
He is also actively involved in numerous business and professional organizations and related activities. He has attended Denton County Days in Austin in coalition with organized groups from Denton to visit with legislators and address concerns.
- Board President, Denton County Appraisal District
- Director and Board Officer, Texas Association of School Boards
- Founding Board President, Children’s Advocacy Center of Denton County
- President, Advisory Council for the Denton County Children’s Advocacy Center
- Founding Board President, Denton Public School Foundation
- Denton Chamber of Commerce
- Greater Denton-Wise Association of Realtors
- Texas Association of Realtors
- National Association of Realtors
- Capitol Campaign Co-Chair, University of North Texas College of Public Affairs and Community Service
- Board Member, Advisory Board of University of North Texas College of Public Affairs and Community Service
- Member, President’s Council, University of North Texas
- Board member, Communities in Schools of North Texas
- Board Member, Animal Shelter Foundation
- Denton Kiwanis