Steps for Requesting a Mentor in Denton ISD
Congratulations on making the decision to work on a Master of Library Science degree. Not only do you have an opportunity to engage with students is a variety of ways, but with the inclusion of both technology, art, and makerspaces (STEAM) into libraries, every day is a new adventure!
Human Resources Steps for Library Practicum:
- Once your criminal background check has been returned, the Library Coordinator will contact you with information on your mentor and when you may begin visiting your site.
- Please contact your mentor to set a good time to make your first visit. You can coordinate future visits during the first meeting.
- The Library Coordinator will make 3 observations during your practicum. She will work with you to find the best dates for these visits.
Best Practices for Interns in Denton ISD
For employees, all internship hours must be collected outside of regular contract hours. This is not a change in policy or procedure. In the past, interns have taken personal time in order to complete the hours needed for their internships.
Setting up internships on neighboring campuses is the best way to ensure that hours are properly collected. It also give you experience with another practicing librarian and giving you a broader perspective. All of this is designed to prepare you to be a better candidate when you are interviewing for positions.
Internship Guidelines from the university and/or the state dictate which librarians may serve as mentors. As much as possible we select sites close to the interns home or campus to help reduce travel time. However, it isn't always possible to find a mentor who meets the requirements set forth by the state and is in close geographic proximity to the interns home or campus.
Because librarians are certified K-12, it is important that during the internship there is an opportunity to work at a level that is different from the level where you teach. While the work of a librarian, regardless of the level, is focused on the literacy needs of the student, the manner in which that work is accomplished varies widely. Texas Administrative Code requires you to spend 160 hours in your practicum. The state allows this to be broken down into 70/30 or 60/20/20. In Denton ISD we ask you to spend 70% of your time in the area where you have the least experience. If you choose the 60/20/20 option, we would like 60% in the area where you have the least experience and 20% where you have teaching experience. But the 60/20/20 option requires you to spend time in all three levels, elementary, middle, and high school.
Ethical guidelines now include specific information for Intern Site Supervisors. We want to ensure that we do not create any situation which would violate these guidelines.
We want to support the growth of our staff while we meet the requirements set forth by our governing boards.
Practicum Activities for Denton ISD
The librarians of Denton ISD have put together a list of activities candidates will need to know in order to be hired in Denton ISD. These are things librarians in Denton ISD are routinely asked to do or consider a part of their job description.
This checklist includes, but is not limited to, observing the practicum student perform the following tasks:
- Ethical Use which might include digital citizenship, copyright, fair use, citing sources, etc.
- Curating resources both print and digital
- Checking in and out materials, adding and removing items from the catalog, processing materials, equipment, or other acquisitions.
- Meeting with the librarian and a teacher to observe a planning lesson
- Emerging trends which might including AV production, 3D printing, makerspace activities, etc.
- Discussion of appropriate use of social media and motivational displays
- Discussion of building a culture of reading and literacy
- Surveying stakeholders
It is our goal that you be an exemplary library candidate and in the best position to obtain a library job.
If you have any questions, please contact Denton ISD Library Services.