Dr. Jim Alexander, Trustee since 1993
As professor emeritus of government and former chair of the Department of History and Government at Texas Woman’s University as well as a former Denton City Council member, Dr. Jim Alexander brings a unique blend of academia and practical political experience to the board.
Dr. Alexander has spent most of his life in educational pursuits from both sides of the classroom. His associate degree was earned at North Central Texas College in Gainesville, Texas. He received his bachelor’s and master’s degrees, both focusing on government and business administration, from what is now Texas A&M University – Commerce.
Dr. Alexander earned his doctorate from the School of Government and Public Administration at American University in Washington, D.C. While working on his doctorate, he focused on public policy, which he has had much opportunity to refer back to in his role as trustee.
He and his wife have resided in the Denton area since 1980. Their son, Jason, is a graduate of Ryan High School and the University of Texas, where he received his bachelor’s degree, and Texas State University, where he received his master’s in public administration.
Insights and Contributions
Dr. Alexander has served as Board President twice and Board Secretary twice since his initial election in 1993.
Dr. Alexander’s consensus-building experience has also helped the board work as a team. His presence on the board has led to great board cooperation with the Denton City Council. He did not leave the friendships behind he made during his service on the Denton City Council, rather he continues to utilize them to the advantage of the entire board and community.
Since Dr. Alexander joined the board, it has become a recognized district as defined by Texas Education Agency.
- Executive Board, North Central TX Council of Governments – President (1991-1992), Member (1989 –1993)
- City Council, City of Denton (1986 – 1992)
- City of Denton, National League of Cities – Voting Delegate (1986, 1988)
- Denton County Grand Jury – Foreman (1984-1985)
- Law Enforcement Training, North Central TX Council of Governments, Regional Police Academy-Chair (1982-1985)
- Adult Probation Advisory Council, Denton County Court Services – Chair (1984 – 1986)
- Rotary Club of Denton – Board of Directors (1983-1986)
- Rotary Club of Wichita Falls – Board of Directors (1978-1980)
- White House Conference on National Affairs – Invited Participant (1980)
- Professor Emeritus of Government, Texas Woman's University
- Director, Law Enforcement Management Institute of Texas, Texas Woman's University
- Executive Board, Academy of Criminal Justice Sciences
- Founding Board Member, Public Safety Leadership Development Consortium