Secondary English Language Arts
Welcome to the world of words -- where words are spoken and written, heard and read. Literacy, previously defined as the ability to read, has been expanded to include reading, writing, listening, speaking, and thinking.
Guiding Principles --
- Learning is socially constructed.
- Learning and literacy are social, cultural, and historical practices.
- Reading is a transaction between the reader and the text, and each reader brings a unique experience to each reading of the text in order to create meaning.
- Literacy is not a luxury for the few but a requisite for the many.
Strategic Goals --
- Elimination of any achievement gap
- Teaching all students to grow as critical readers, effective writers, judicious thinkers, and knowledgeable producers of the English language
Emily Thompson, Secondary Coordinator for English Language Arts - Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Natalie Nash, Secondary ELA Professional Development Specialist - Email: email@example.com