Register for Camp Abilities Texas
Eligibility Requirements for Campers:
Camp Abilities Texas is a sports camp for student who are blind, visually impaired or deafblind. Campers must be between the ages of 9 and 18 who are verbal or sign and are independent in self care. We will accept the first 30 campers who register and meet the eligibility requirements.
The following are examples of eligibility criteria which will be considered for a student to attend Camp Abilities Texas. Please read carefully before registering your student for Camp Abilities.
Students who attend Camp Abilities Texas must meet the following criteria order to participate:
- Have a visual impairment (must receive vision services in their educational setting)
- Are predominantly independent in self-care skills (such as toileting, bathing, dressing and eating)
- Possess verbal or sign communication skills commensurate with their chronological age
- Display behaviors that allow them to function in group settings that does not affect other group members
- Must not possess a medical problem that requires a nurse for constant supervision
- Parents must disclose all necessary information that will allow staff to provide a safe environment for the students and their peer while at Camp Abilities Texas
Athletes will be ineligible and be sent home if they display the following:
- Runaway/fleeing behaviors
- Biting, scratching or hitting behaviors
- Medical needs that require constant nursing supervision or communicable diseases
- Defiant or conduct disorders
If you have any questions related to the above criteria, please contact the director, Lisa Hanson, at email@example.com.
If your camper is from Texas, contact your student's caseworker from the Health and Human Services Commission (HHSC) or the Texas Workforce Commission (TWC) before you register for assistance with camp tuition. The cost per camper is $1,500. If funding is not available for your student through HHSC or TWC, final payment is due by May 4, 2020.
Eligibility Requirements for Counselors
- Must be 18 or older to volunteer
- Must be involved in a related field of study
- Must provide a recommendation from a past or current professor or from a camp specialist
Register for Camp
Registration is on a first come, first served basis. Campers and their parents will be notified of their acceptance after registration forms have been reviewed. Registration must be complete and received by March 6, 2020 to ensure the camper has a spot at Camp Abilities Texas 2020.